Saturday, June 19, 2010

when I look at the stars

Entering Israel yesterday was fairly horrible in some ways.  By the time I got to the Tel Aviv airport, I was ready to emotionally collapse and cry out of exhaustion and tension and anxiety.  But there was one little thing that kept me from that.

On the flight from Warsaw to Tel Aviv, I woke as the pilot announced we were approximately twenty-five minutes from landing.  I peered out the window, hoping for a first glimpse of the land.  There were no lights below-- we were still over water-- but. . .
Above and around me were scattered stars, more stars than I have seen in months, and certainly far more than I have ever seen from an airplane.  They were only clear for a few moments, but I somehow couldn't catch my breath the whole time I looked at them.
I thought about it later, while I was sitting in a hot little sheirut waiting for our driver to find one more passenger so we could begin our journey toward Jerusalem.  It was a perfectly fitting little vignette in this story.

When I was frightened nearly out of my mind, God confronted me with this skyfull of stars.
"Just as I was faithful to Abraham under these same stars," He was whispering.  "So I will be faithful to you now."

No comments:

Post a Comment