Tuesday, July 12, 2011

committment

Writing a really quality story (short story, novel, whatever) is much like a marriage, I think. It takes time and work and intentional commitment. Halfway through, it's tempting to give up, set it aside for a little bit, take up something else "just for a little change."

(We all know we're never coming back to that set-aside story. Let's be honest.)

I don't really like thinking of writing like this, as something I have to work at and discipline myself to do. If it doesn't come easily, natural as breathing, then what if it turns out I'm actually really bad at it? Can you love something so much . . . and it just doesn't work out? I'd prefer to compare writing to one of those awful love affairs, where everything "just happens" and there are no obstacles that can't be overcome with a few magical kisses.

But writing isn't like that. Actually, most times, writing is more like having a husband who took a really dire turn somewhere along the way. He's started working late, forgetting important promises, drinking too much, getting argumentative and difficult. He's loved . . . but it's honestly so much easier when he just forgets to come home . . .

Writing has always come and gone for me, like the ebb and flow of the tides. But I think I'm coming to the point where I know I can't keep just flirting. It's time to slow down and set up house, or leave for good before I get myself in deeper than I can swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment