Wednesday, September 14, 2011

the gangly youths

When exactly did they get so tall, so boyishly lovely? I remember them as short pudgy kissable babies, sucking pacifiers and smiling chubby little grins. Now here they are, gangly young men, fully-capable older brothers, striking the balance between boy and man quite wonderfully. I listen to their voices rumble, and I smile, marvelling.

Already I can imagine them as men--fathers, husbands, best friends, good men. I won't rush that, though. Today, this shaggy-haired long-limbed skinny stage is best. In just a few years, it will dissolve into broad shoulders and mustaches and college. But for now, I will smile and laugh and tease, and they will hunch and blush and mumble.

I won't always have this upper hand, so I will enjoy it while it lasts, and I will look forward to the day when I tease and they lift their eyes and hit me with a man's confidence. It will knock my breath away--but I will still smile . . . for boy becoming man is one of the most beautiful changes in this world.

1 comment: